Luca Tommaso Zacheo, son of Giuseppe and Aurelia Doxi Stracca, had this palace as a dowry, probably for his marriage to Donata Rossi, who was still living there with her family in 1822, contiguous to Calò and Raymondi. The 18th century façade stands along via Roncella, starting from the corner on the seafront, with baroque balcony and veranda opening on the first floor on the last flight of stairs and entrance hall. This palace is interesting above all for a first floor large hall, having a barrel-type composite lunetted vault with pavilion heads, counterforted by two round arches, excellently decorated with grotesque and festoons according to lines of pictorial eclecticism with clear 18th century influences, above all of colouristic type. This decoration can be dated back to the first three decades of the 19th century, because of the presence of some mythological scenes borrowed, due to the pictorial result of white figures on a black background, from the branches engraved for “Le antichità di Ercolano”, the last volume of which saw the light in 1792.
The Palace, in 1832 rented by the French shopkeepers Carlo Gruat and Alberto Cartanaf, after the death of Donata Rossi, Zacheo’s wife, returned in property of Achille Rossi who sold it on 29 July 1833 to Angelo Maglione from Genova and Filippo Perrella from Piana di Sorrento. Father-in-law the former and son-in-law the latter (after marrying his only daughter Eugenia), both of them oil merchants, they must therefore have committed at least the mythological medallions.
The Foscarini, who still live there, now own the palace, thanks to the marriage of one of them to Filippo’s daughter Giulia Perrella, to whom the property was registered in 1893.
Original text – Elio Pindinelli
English translation by Rocco Merenda