The Railway Station

stazione ferroviaria Gallipoli - gallipolivirtuale.it

The line was planned with the Baccarini Law of 1879 in order to link the port city of Gallipoli to the national railway network.The line was activated on 1st November 1885 with the inauguration of the Nardò-Gallipoli section.
In 1933 it was sold by Ferrovie dello Stato to the newly established railways of the South East.The railway track crosses narrow gorges carved in the rock and, past the station, it continues as far as the port, where on special occasions it is possible to make a stop over.

translation by: Rocco Merenda